Monday, April 03, 2006

Mr. Rickard, gym teacher



I guess the saying should go, watch out what you apply for because they may just give you the job. Several weeks ago, when my desk job at Teledigitappeared to be ending, I applied for a part-time morning P.E. position. Well, lace up your jogging shoes, slap on your matching warm-ups, and lasso your whistle Mr. Rickard, because you got the job.

As of next Monday, I'll be teaching P.E. in the mornings for grades Kindergarten through six at lil' ol Redland School. I guess I'll have to start calling students by their last names and will tell that fiesty 'lil Jonny to "take a lap", next time he "gives me guff." At the very least this should provide some blog fodder. Wish me luck, I'll probably need it.

6 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger BethInPortland said...

You need to borrow season 6 of the Simpsons from us and watch the "Bombardment" episode. The evil PE sub does nothing but throw balls at the kids for three weeks yelling "Bombardment! Bombardment!" He could be your mentor.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Sloop said...

Good luck! My favorite days of freshman PE were near the end of the year when the teacher finally gave up on us and let everyone do what we wanted. A lot of kids played basketball, some did dodgeball. There was also some gang brawls and some dandy-horsing, but me and a few others just went outside and played hacky-sack. Good times.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Bonikastjames said...

Sweet action! I think you'll do great! Just be sure to line up the kids for lots of team picking so that they get that rejection thing down early. (I hated PE in Elm. School for this reason) But seriously don't forget that PE isn't hard work for most kids and seen as an extra recess so they will love coming to see you(I loved PE for this reason).

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger kazuhank said...

beth--yes, that's a classic. i may have to borrow the 'bombardment' lesson plan. it's funny i used to collect all the dodgeballs by having the entire class throw them at me at once... they have yet to hit me.

sloop--i don't imagine that i can justify hacky-sack to the principal. i don't think it's in the state standards yet.

bonika--i was picked dead last in kickball every time...primarily because i would strike out. i usually have the kids link arms with a friend over a line on the floor. then all the kids on one side are team 1, and all the kids on the other are team 2. Instant teams and no one has to be 'last.'

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Hurricane said...

Mr. R -
As a fat kid, I can only pray that you will set a new standard of excellence in the world of Academic Physical Education.
Does this mean you have to do Sex Ed? Our gentle spirited, Marine trained coaches were always the ones who received that task. I may have to audit your class just for that reason!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger boy eats drum machine said...

let lil' jonny raise hell. makes the other kids feel more normal. that's what I say.:)
/jonny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home