Friday, October 28, 2005

"one year's salary please"

that's what I should have said the other day when i made the business deposit for my afternoon job... it was the equivalent of my entire year of teaching pay. unlike the public sector, the private business that i work for in the afternoons makes money. it wasn't distressing processing the large deposit, in fact, a few days earlier i had deposited 3-4 times what i will making teaching the next year. rather, the shock came standing in line looking at a single day's deposit thinking 'that's all i will make for spending 9 months with the future of america' nothing quite like seeing your student loans and countless hours of coursework and practica reduced to a few lines on a piece of watermarked paper.

don't get me wrong, i'm thankful for both jobs. when i deposit my school paycheck i'm laughing not just at the size, but that they pay me to do what i do. yes, i love that job and am waiting for the day that the district mustaches see through my smoke-and-mirrors.

now before any of you get on your "you-have-great-benefits-and-what-about-june-july-and-august?" high horse, how would you like to pay the $400/month to add my wife to my 'great benefits' package? yeah, i don't really want to either. but i digress, i really only wanted to laugh about seeing my entire year's salary as 1 line on a small business deposit. viva la entrepreneur!

2 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger BethInPortland said...

Teacher's rock and you are probably the coolest 6th grade teacher ever!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Bonikastjames said...

Yeah, seriously... I wish I'd had you as a 6th grade teacher and not Mr. Garcia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home