Thursday, July 21, 2005

5 star rating

i recently took some flack from sloop and j.crash about my passing out 5 star ratings like bad pickup lines at a karaoke bar. so i just checked with netflix and i realized that i may have been a little loose with my 5 stars. i'll admit that spaceballs may have been five stars when i was 11 years old, but i'd probably have to turn it off if i watched it again today. and yes spaceballs had earned a 5 star rating, but before you commence with laughter, i just removed 5 stars from more than 20 movies so i am left with less than 50 5 star movies as of this minute. so i'll let you be the judge, here's a sampling of my 5 star films. while not comprehensive, it should give you an idea. so flame away:

one flew over the cuckoo's nest
12 angry men (the original of course)
citizen kane
a clockwork orange
the 400 blows
do the right thing
brain candy
the life aquatic with steve zissou
chinatown

i could go on... it does beg an interesting question though: what standard should you use to rate films. should a 5-star film from childhood or adolescence stand as a 5-star in adulthood? what about a film that speaks to a specific audience at a set period of time (read: do the right thing)? i don't know, but i am holding my stars a little closer to the vest these days. sorry spaceballs ("...ooooh, that's gonna leave a mark")

5 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Bonikastjames said...

Just so you know to this day Spaceballs is in my top 5. I don't know why exactally but it cracks my up just thinking about it.

"It's my INDUSTRIAL strenght hairdrier and I CAN'T live without it."

Hahahaha

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Sloop said...

Spaceballs sucks big-time. It's just not funny. Of course, I didn't see it until I was like 23 years old, so I have no childhood memories of being amused by it's juvenile humor. But seriously, my average Netflix rating of movies is 3.18 stars, while my friends' average is 3.78, so maybe I'm just a harsher critic, or maybe I'm just more full of hate.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger moz said...

I love the new picture of Sloop and JCrash

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Sloop said...

What? Why is J Crash dissing this blog? In iambic pentameter? This makes no sense at all...
Ben - no retreat, no surrender!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger kazuhank said...

bonika--thanx for havin my back. i stand by my selection after checking the netflix rating definitions which state a five star rating means "i loved it" which i did!

sloop--i'm sure that the 12-year-old-star-wars-loving you would have "loved it." keep the dream alive!

j.crash--you're lucky you added that smiley or it'd be game on. :)

moz--i usually don't post candid shots of friends on my blog, but this time it seemed appropriate.

sloop--i think he's joking. or else i'll have to go cry now... maybe i'll cry anyways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home