Tuesday, July 26, 2005

athlete vs. musician


'first my left foot...'
Originally uploaded by kazuhank.
it's a classic debate, maybe even a class struggle, that begins in middle school--are you a jock or a rocker? (or perhaps a jocker?) generally in your formative years, in addition to chicks and 'good times' you persue music arts or sports. there are those rare exceptions of crossover musicians who are also athletes, or vice versa, but i question where there hearts lie. for me, the decision was made for me by a gang tackle gone awry that left me with several torn back muscles and an addiction to muscle relaxants at age 16. an aptly placed helmet to my lower back shattered my hopes of sacking neil lomax in the nfl and led to my turning that summer's farm wages into a bass and amp.

so this weekend i was reminded of the intersection of the diverging art and sports worlds when i ran the nike-sponsored 'run hit wonder'. i have started running again, probably due to the fact that since marrying mrs. b. rickland, i have gained about 3-4 lbs a year. so running seems like a good way to tear up my knee ligaments while continuing to gain weight. so i have ran a few 5k runs and found that i am slower then most runners in their 70s. go me. something about running a mile-per-minute pace that most races categorize as 'walking' makes you feel fairly athletic. so reese and i decided to run it together, which was great because we could use each other as an excuse to slow down and stop periodically. the trip with the run hit wonder is that there are bands along the course at every mile or so. so reese and i ran and had no problem running right past the donnas and randy jackson. we slowed down for some r&b singer nina something, but we kept our pace.

the athlete vs. musician conundrum arose as we approached fountains of wayne. so did i stick to my commitment for health and wellness and continue the race? or did i stop and give in to the music? naturally i stopped and checked out 3 songs or so. so much for my sick 9 minute miles! we finally took off again when chris collingwood mugged that "i can't help but notice that none of you are running... it's more of a stand-in than a race." well said chris, so on we went until we came up to chingy's stage that is. once again we stopped pace be damned and enjoyed us a little of the flow unstoppable. oh well, i guess i was fooling myself with the pipe dreams of being an athlete. i may have run a 15 minute mile pace, but at least i got to take in some music. besides i'll be able to play music into my 80s--we'll have to see about the running.

4 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger Sloop said...

"running seems like a good way to tear up my knee ligaments while continuing to gain weight" - Absolutely hilarious, and true. This was my experience when I went to 24 hr Fitness.

If they really wanted people to run, they should have had acts like Shaggy, Creed, and Clay Aiken. I'd run like hell if I got near their concerts.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Bonikastjames said...

Yeah, that whole kneed/weight thing made me laugh really loud.

Good for you for going on the run. It's always hard to see who's more fit than you. That's why you should actually trip them. I think the best "race" for not feeling bad about yourself afterward is The Race for the Cure... everyone does that one... even really slow people.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Sloop said...

I would love to race for The Cure, as long as they played mostly songs from Disintegration and not Wild Mood Swings. 90s Cure = uggh.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger reesarick said...

I forgive you for abandoning me with only 100 yards to go just so you could beat that girl you knew from high school. :o) aaahhh...the sweet taste oof a raging competetive spirit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home