Tuesday, December 27, 2005

the c-word

no not that c-word, but the one that you never want to hear from a doctor. she even referred to it as the 'c-word' in an attempt to reassure me that all was going to be okay. the problem is, even for the sake of reassurance, you never want to hear the word cancer during a medical exam. so you can understand that even though she said, "you know it really doesn't feel like cancer normally does," i seemed to stop listening at cancer. my mind actually lost most of the words and focused on "you" and "cancer."

perhaps i should backtrack and explain that last friday i had an appointment to have the no-longer-so-smallish growth in my right leg examined. i had (and still have) no idea as to what the lump was (or is), so i was figuring that the c-word would come up at least in passing. unfortunately, no matter how prepped you are to hear it, it's unnerving to hear the doctor say cancer when referring to a growth in your leg. so i'm on the referral list to have my lump biopsied and possibly removed.

at least this time around the c-word won't be so awkward.

3 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger boy eats drum machine said...

eek. so will you keep it? they usually offer to let you have the lil' ball of cellular rebellion. in a jar. a small(ish) jar. my dad had a benign rebellion at the base of his skull. not good. here's to squelching rebellions.
/jonny

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Sloop said...

Yipes. I almost fainted just reading this post. I don't deal too well with medical things. Good luck and God speed.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Hurricane said...

I will be on my knees in celebration of your pending victory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home