Sunday, May 20, 2007

geek chic

it seems that i blog a lot (if blogging once a quarter can be considered a lot) about being a geek, but i am one, so it makes sense.

shouting things at your television as if it were sentient is rather unnerving in itself, but a few days ago i realized how deeply rooted my geekdom was when i started arguing with said TV during a Dow Chemical commercial. dow's new campaign is about the human element and the commercial had a graphic of the human "element" Hm with the atomic number of eight. "Eight is oxygen!" I barked at the TV. Startling myself, I looked it up on the periodic table and sure enough oxygen's atomic number is 8. More scary than me knowing this offhand is the fact that a major chemical company approved an ad that clearly has no understanding of our planet's chemical makeup.

alas, i do not feel ostracized because on the set of boy eats drum machine's new video shoot yesterday, i realized that all of my closest friends are quite geeky. i am at home with my people.

well, off i go--it's really hard to blog while watching battlestar galactica...

3 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger BethInPortland said...

I'm impressed you know your periodic table of elements. Geeks unite!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger erin said...

I love that you're a total nerd. It's endearing.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Sloop said...

There is almost nothing geekier than playing Scrabble, talking about Battlestar Galactica & Wiis, while in the midst of a sci-fi video shoot. Unless one is wearing a bow-tie while doing said geeky things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home