Monday, February 13, 2006

vitamin D

the sun decided to show yesterday, which certainly beats the fact that i have been wearing a sweater all morning yet my fingers are still cold.

so i took advantage of the clear sky, donned my overalls (yes, they are my favorite thing to wear in full view of all of my neighbors), and jumped up on my ladder. i became so addicted to suddenly being 10' tall that i pruned one of my trees all the way into the ground by a few inches (at which point i had to get off the ladder). as the on-top-of-the-ladder endorphines kicked in i decided to clean out all of the gutters. atop the house i then decided to scrape off most of the moss on my roof. i think i also scrapped off most of the rocky parts of my shingles but what the hell, i was on top of a ladder.

i even stopped for what felt like 6 hours and was probably actually 45 seconds and watched a bird. i don't know about you, but when i stop to watch a wild animal i suddenly don't feel as self-absorbed. something about that little red-crested finchjay puffin worbler made my problems seem smaller.

after insuring that i will need to replace my roof this spring, i performed the coup de grace... i took down the Christmas lights. forget punxsutawney phil, there is no barometer for the end of winter better than the lights coming down from the front of my house. it's offical, forget the snow broadcast for the weekend, we're in for brighter weather now.

3 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger BethInPortland said...

I love it! I love "I don't know about you, but when i stop to watch a wild animal i suddenly don't feel as self-absorbed. something about that little red-crested finchjay puffin worbler made my problems seem smaller."
So true!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Sloop said...

Replacing a roof is about as much suck as you can pack into one deed. Thousands of dollars + no tangible benefits. Have fun.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger kazuhank said...

beth-yes, it sometimes takes a small living creature from nature to make us on the top of the food chain feel small... for a change ...for a brief while.

sloop-i don't really think i'll have to replace it. until i sell my house to someone with an FHA loan that is...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home